Learn to Coach
This initiative was launched to help develop new coaches and /or develop “old” coaches who wish to further their knowledge and experience.
Learn to Coach may satisfy the desire to remain active, to learn how to coach while contributing to their and others’ growth as a cross country skier. It will also fill a much needed role within the Club.
Participants will be paired with an experienced coach and under their guidance will learn, experience, and ultimately coach within that specific group. This is for that person who may no longer have a goal to train and/or race at a high level but want to stay involved and give back to the sport. The candidate may however still want to stay fit and derive benefit from being active as a cross country skier. As such they can expect to be able to train with their assigned group to “learn by experience”, and will ultimately be given coaching responsibility as they learn and grow as a coach.
After a successful season of Learn to Coach, the participant will be expected to commit to coaching for a minimum of one season with ENSC. At that time the new coach can expect to be paid according to the ENSC Pay Grid.
- 16 years of age or older
- Coaching certification (ICC, CC, L2T, etc) an asset but not necessary
- Participated in an ENSC program (or equivalent skiing experience)
- Proficient in skate and classic techniques
- Has a desire to learn and to coach
- No previous coaching experience necessary
- Fall/Winter 2023-24
- Early September to Late March
- Attend an orientation prior to Start-Up
- Be a member in good standing with ENSC
- Commit to at least one (1) training session per week
- Take necessary coaching courses (certification) if not currently certified
- ENSC will pay for coaching certification
- Be willing to improve skiing skills (if deficient)
- To ultimately lead and coach training sessions
- Attend a 2-day orientation (one in-class and one on-snow) that will introduce:
- The new Nordic Canada tool (Technique Report Card)
- Technique fundamentals and philosophy
- Coaching fundamentals and philosophy.
There is no fee. But the participant will be expected to commit to coaching for a minimum of one season with ENSC after successful completion of the Learn to Coach program.
REGISTRATION: To be done on Zone 4